Sunday, December 03, 2006

A little unpleasantness

Occasionally something comes along which reminds me why I find New Labour one of the more despicable of the many nasty phenomena of the 20th Century.

This is one of them.

Perry de Haviland, at Samizdata, recounts the ministerial quote about Russia and the polonium poisoning affair: `They are too important for us to fall out with them over this.'
I've made my comment over at Samizdata, but honestly, how can we tolerate such people in power over us? `The state is not your friend' is one of Samizdata' catchphrases, but in this case it needs to be strengthened to `sometimes the state is the citizen's enemy and this is one of those sometimes'.
I particularly appreciate Saint Tony being present and not saying anything about this remark.
It's good to know our Prime Minister approves of the sentiment.

No comments: